Monday, June 1, 2009

What I'll Miss About Des Moines

Long walks around Grays Lake. This place is especially enchanting at night when the lights are up on the bridge. I will miss walking around in the Summer and hearing the roaring buzz of the cicadas in the trees. Funny that I will miss that, I used to hate it.

My favorite store and the place I always found the best deals ever. I'm pretty sure there aren't Gordmans in Washington. But, how knows. Maybe I will find one here someday.

Fireworks Friday Nights at the Cubs games. Good old Principal Park. This picture makes the Ball-Park look a lot bigger than I remember. Still cool though.

Greenwood Pond. This is my ultimate favorite place in Des Moines. I could come here and spend hours just walking around and looking at all the animals and pretty scenery. Just up the hill from the pond is the Rose Garden and Art Center. Places that Bryce and I frequented while living in Iowa. My favorite time of year is spring because of the new life and the animals. Greenwood Pond always had turtles, frogs, birds, ducks, geese, and anything else you could ever want to see in Iowa.

One of my favorite trails to run on. The Riley Trail. This picture doesn't even do the beauty of this place justice. I would more often than not see deer in the woods watching me run and raccoons scamper away as I passed. I felt all alone, yet surrounded by the comfort of this beautiful place. This trail has seen many miles from my old asics.

Align Center
The Salisbury house is so fun to walk around and so close to our old apartment.
Those of you who are still in Iowa and have not walked around this place yet, need to right now. I always felt like I was stepping back in time and I was Elizabeth Bennett. You can just imagine Mr. Darcy is about to turn the corner and propose. Not that I need a Mr. Darcy, I've got something much better.

My favorite weekend activity. An Iowa Cubs game. Why a game is better than a movie. #1:Cheaper #2:Outdoors #3:Shooting Hot Dogs and T-shirts #4:You can be as loud as you want, no one shushing you #5:Dancing and singing so you can be shown on the Mega-tron. #6:Lots of people watching #7:Every game is Family Freindly, they don't have to come with a rating #8:Aren't the first seven enough.

My lovely Cardinals. I will miss you most of all. I will miss them waking me up in the morning and calling to me when I get a little too close. It is such a thrill to see this bright red wonder amidst the flood of green that engulfs Iowa's skyline. Everywhere you look you see green, and it is breathtaking. But, it is better still to look a the green and see a spot of red flashing through and singing a song to you.

6 comments:

Emily K. said...

We totally should have come and visited you guys when you lived there. Sorry we never made it. Looks like a great place, where you made many memories.

Celinda said...

Those were beautiful pictures. I can see why you will miss that. I hope that you find something good at your new 4 month home. I guess you do have 4 good things. Emily, Jake, Taylee and Rohne!

Allen Family said...

It is so pretty there. You are amazing at taking pictures.

Ashley said...

This post definitley makes me miss Des Moines! We never expected to fall in love with DM as much as we did - and there was so much we didn't get to see or experience. It just makes me wonder how many other places are as great - Gordmans and Hyvee I especially miss though ;).

Here's hoping you settle into WA way faster than you were expecting and fall in love with is just as much, if not more, than DM!!

The French Family said...

Oh Nat... I love you girl! How exciting to be entering this part of your life. I know you'll end up loving it. However, if you ever need a boost just give me a halla. We wish you two the best of luck! Keep us updated on all the fun things that come with moving. Love you!

shauni said...

I really expected to see my picture in this post! Just kidding, but we will really miss you guys!