Monday, June 1, 2009

Feels Like Home To Me


Moving to a new place is always a little disorienting. There is no way to know where you are going, which road to take, where all your familiar spots are. It is a lonely feeling. I moved quite a bit when I was young, and then Bryce and I have moved a lot since we have been married. I thought that maybe I would be used to it by now and it wouldn't even phase me. But, this morning as I was unpacking our suitcases in an unfamiliar apartment with strangers walking outside my window, I felt that ever pressing loneliness growing in my belly. It wasn't a good feeling and I wanted so to stave it off. So, I took a quick shower to gather my senses and then decided that we needed a few necessities. And, where do you go for all your necessities . . . WAL-MART of course. Bryce and I typed the address to a Wal-Mart close by and took off. As we pulled into the parking lot I could feel that pressing in my stomach begin to subside. Then, as we walked into the automatic glass doors and were greeted by a friendly "welcome to Wal-Mart" I took a great sigh of relief. This, this place, it feels a little like home doesn't it.

4 comments:

Emily K. said...

I'm glad you found a Walmart not too far from you. There are few and far between in our neck of the woods. I will have to go there when we come down and visit. I'm glad you guys survived your first night. Did you remember the Pepper Spray?

Celinda said...

Natali, that was a great post! You express your feelings very well. I'm sure that you will feel a "home" feeling in your new ward, and you may find some things that you will miss very much when you leave this new, scary, lonely place. Please take care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

Someone told me you are moving to Washington! Where? Yeah about Walmart. The one by Ikea by the airport is SCARY!!! It is extremely small and it doesn't carry hardly anything. Washington is very against Walmart. Goodnews is there is Ikea!
Well enjoy Washington. I know you'll love it!

Debbi said...

Hey Natali - I don't have your phone number and I've been meaning to comment forever, but if you are bored, please call me, or email, we can hang out...and a word about walmart, the one in federal way is nicer than the one in lakewood (no shooters!...and the one down in lacey is better. We move saturday so next week we should hang out!