
MY FAVORITE THING! I love to make a good bonfire. I love to roast hotdogs and marshmallows over the flames and cook tinfoil dinners in the coals. I love coming home and smelling like a campfire. I love all of it so much, especially when it is a perfect spring night!

Bryce and I are moving and we had this old, junky dresser that we couldn't get ride of. So, I decided that we needed to burn it! There was a nice pallet out by our dumpster than also needed burning so it was just our duty to do this. I wanted to break the dresser into pieces before we burnt it, but the boys had other plans. They just stuck the whole thing on top of the fire and watched it get engulfed with flames. I'll admit that once the fire got this huge, I was pretty nervous, but it was really neat.

This picture reminds me of the poem my Dad quotes. Sam Mcgee has asked to be cremated in the frosty arctic. His friend goes to see how the whole "process" is going. He opens to door to see Sam relaxing and enjoying the flames surrounding him. "PLEASE SHUT THAT DOOR! It's nice in here, but I dreafully fear you'll let in the cold and storm. Since I left Plumtree down in Tennessee, this's the first time I've been warm." I could just imagine Sam Mcgee lounging in the flames, basking in the heat. It was very therapeautic to see these flames after so long a winter. I guess I have a little bit of Sam in me too!

Here i am getting too close to the fire with my long stick. Bryce was pretty nervous about how adacious I was around the fire. I guess he hasn't done this with me enough. I did get burned, but just a little and it was totally worth it.

Our friends Nate and Mary Jones came to enjoy the fire with us. Here is Mary in the background also enjoying the blaze.
And this video shows how fast the little dresser was engulfed in flames then tumbled to the ground. It was really cool, but a little frightening. Nate is videoing this and we are all just talking nonsense, don't try to make sense out of it. ENJOY!
4 comments:
So so so so so so fun!!!! I wish I had been there for that on your birthday!!! I too love a great bonfire. SOmething so soothing about them. Thanks for letting us be a part of ti through the video!!
That is a really cool fire. I love big bon fires. So where are you guys moving?
I really remember how crazy you are around fires. Not a very good example for kids, though. We can't wait until you guys get here. Good job with the Sam McGee poem. one of my favorites.
Isn't there a name for someone who likes to watch fires burning? Ask the 'Doctor to be' he should know. Maybe I'm thinking about pyromaniac--someone with an irresistible impulse to start fires. It did look like a great time! I'm glad that you didn't burn down Des Moines.
Post a Comment