Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My little Pirate Baby

Benson has crossed eyes. His eyes were straight when he was born and around 2 months they crossed and have never gotten better. In fact they have gotten a little worse as the months have gone by. He finally got into see a specialist and the big fancy name for what Benson has is called infantile esotropia. Look it up if you want a definition, but it just means he has crossed eyes basically. He is also almost exclusively using his left eye. So he right eye is becoming weak and needs to be strengthened. THUS, the eye patch. Wooh, it took a lot of words to get that out huh.

Benson wears this eye patch 2 hrs a day and hates every second of it, but I did catch a smile yesterday as he my little pirate was jumping away in the jumperoo. We go back to the Dr. in a month to reassess the situation. The scary part, at least for me as a Mom, is that it is inevitable that they will have to do surgery to straighten his eyes back out. After his right eye is stronger and working as well as the left, they will have to put my little man under and dis-attach a few muscles as the back of the eye. They straighten them out and then reattach the muscles. Crazy business.

I am getting a little tired of people asking me if I know that my babies eyes are crossed. Even family members will whisper their concerns about his crossed eyes to each other. So, I am more than happy that we can have it corrected. But, to be honest. Benson's crossed eyes give him such personality and I will be a little sad to see them go. Until then, I will enjoy my pirate man as much as I can.

6 comments:

Celinda said...

Thanks for sharing how he looks in his little (big) eyepatch. I wish I could see him in person.

Rachel Schanz said...

He is so dang cute! Surgery is no fun, I hope everything goes well and that little munchkin can see his mommy better!

The Gibbs said...

natali, this is me!!!! i was a little older (3) when my eyes started crossing and it wasn't constant like benson, but it was often and i had to have a patch for months and then right into glasses. and then i had this same surgery when i was like 20, remember? it was during a summer in between BYU-I semesters. it's way more common to have the surgery when they're young like this, the recovery is much easier for them and much faster. i know it sucks, but it will be okay. he is such a sweetheart and he has the best mom in the whole world. i love you, good luck. and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!! maybe after the holidays, i will call you.

The Rowley's said...

I think he is adorable.

Unknown said...

My son is 6 and he wears a patch 3 days a week now for two hours at a time. He started with everyday so we are doing better. His eyesight has improved dramatically. They'd never mentioned surgery but did say he'd need eye therapy if he hadn't improved so much. His eyes were never crossed. I'm glad we got him in for an eye exam when we did though, as the longer you wait the worse it gets.

mare said...

I hope the eye patch helps. He is sure cute1 a surgrey is no fun but thankfully they can do it.. we are blessed to live in such an age. we all love you and him.