Friday, June 20, 2008

Jambalaya Yumbalaya!

I made a yummy Jambalaya for dinner the other night. I have never made it before, but Bryce has had a weird craving lately for Jambalaya. So I consulted the experts, (my Mom! I tried to consult with my brother in law Shon because I know he makes a mean Jambalya, but I just kept playing phone tag with my sister and never got a hold of him), and I produced a delicious concoction. As Bryce described it: "It was so good it melted my face off."


I wanted to splurge and get Prawns to put in, but the little shrimp were still fantastic.


My Mother will be proud to know that the recipe called for onions and green peppers, neither of which I enjoy, and I put them in. All of what the recipe called for! It was not a mistake either, what a taste.

Recipe:

1 pound shrimp
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/3 c. chopped celery
1/4 c. chopped green sweet pepper
2 cloves garlic minced
2 T cooking oil
2 c. chicken broth
1 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes (undrained)
8 oz. andouille or kielbasa sausage cut
3/4 c. uncooked rice
1 t. dried thyme
1/2 t. dried basil
1/2 t. ground red pepper
1 bay leaf

In skillet, cook onion, garlic, celery, and green pepper until tender. Stir in Chicken broth, tomatoes, sausage, rice, thyme, basil, red pepper, 1/4 t. black pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 min.

Stir in shrimp. Return to boil. Simmer, covered, for another 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Discard bay leaf, and SERVE!

7 comments:

Emily K. said...

Good for you!! It looks fantastic, my mouth is watering just looking at it. I have never made jambalaya from scratch, only from a box, but if you can do it, Hey, I can too!! I am ready for June to be over, so we can start talking on the phone again. I miss our daily chats!!

Anthony and Rachel Orme said...

Look at you little miss chef! I'm always looking for new recipes so I think I'm going to have to try this one. I have a link on my blog called the Recipe Room where I keep a collection of recipes. Check it out if you want some new ideas.

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Wow that looks really impressive! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Ben as well loves a mean Jumbalya! (or however you spell it!)

Shon and Holly Shuldberg said...

I am totally impressed. I have actually never made it from scratch either. I think Shon made it once for me. It looks amazingly good. I am going to try it. Sorry about the phone tag!!

Anonymous said...

HAve you had sweet and sour keilbasa? Very very very yummy and super quick.

I'm so proud of your recipe and that it doesnt' involve a pound of cheese. You rock!

You are very cute!

Celinda said...

What a chef!! That looks gooood! I'm going to try your recipe.

The Gibbs said...

yummy, yummy, in my tummy. i'll have to try it and see if it melts shawn's face off. i'm also glad you guys are safe from the waters of plenty. i love you and miss making music with you.