Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Fondant Baby Shower Cake Practice

I have never made or decorated with fondant. But, the girls on the TV make it look so easy and fun. Not the case. I wanted to make myself a really fun baby shower cake for next weekend so I figured that I'd better give it a go before the day of. So I made these little cakes and got a recipe for fondant off the Internet and gave it my best. It didn't work out at all how I wanted, but it was very much a learning experience.
I ended up adding too much powdered sugar to the fondant and it cracked terrible when I cut it and draped it over the cake. I learned that you add little bits at a time as needed and don't let it dry out. Double plastic wrap it and let it sit in the fridge overnight before you use it too. I also found some handy tutorials on YouTube and how to drape a cake with the fondant and how to make the fondant the right consistency. I will definitely try this again. I have to only get better at it the more I try right.

First attempt and decorating with the fondant. B for BABY! Very very rough! But, kind of cute I guess.

2nd attempt. J for JOLLEY! A little better but still a work in progress. A fun thing to do but very time consuming. I'm sure that as I do this more I will get better.



1 comments:

Shon and Holly Shuldberg said...

I think it is amazing that you want to make it. And yo did a wonderful job, even your first time.