Mom recently put a small memorial to her Grandmother on her blog and I wanted to follow suit. I don't have a picture of her right now, but will try to get one to show.
I grew up living two doors down from my Grandma Hamblin. I cannot imagine my childhood any other way. Once, when my childhood troubles became too much to bare, I "ran away to Grandma's house. I came prepared with my purple silk night gown on and my pig Oinkers in tow, I was ready for a night off from my family. I got to the door with tear soaked eyes and determination on my brow. I told her I was running away that asked if I could stay there for the night. She took me in without hesitation. She set me up in the "twin room" and let my have my much needed night off. I remember hearing her talk to Mom on the phone, and I was secretly very glad because I wanted Mom to know I has successfully run away, but not really worried.
Grandma collected Dolls. I shouldn't limit to that, no. She collected. She was an avid collector. A lover of garage sales and a master at bargain shopping, she gave me my first taste of what it was to find treasures among others trash. She used to come to our house early Saturday morning and wake me and my little sister Whitney up to take us to garage sales with her. She was always armed with the latest newspaper where all the local sales were listed. There were many times when it was just Grandma and me alone, for Bubber couldn't get herself out of bed. I cherished those days. She usually gave me two or three quarters to spend as I pleased. Grandma always warned me, "make sure you will use what you buy. Don't just buy the first thing you see, there are a lot of sales today." The only treasure I can specifically remember was a purple Popple that I found for 10 cents, and it definitely got its love. Grandma always looked specifically for dolls that has extreme potential, but just needed a little tender loving care. She was especially fond of Madame Alexander and Efanbee dolls. Oh, and I can't forget her special taste for teddy bears. She never could turn down a Gund in decent shape.
Because of these frequent shopping sprees, Grandma's house was FILLED with dolls and bears. I don't know if anyone understands the meaning of the word filled in that sentence. Every open corner, shelf, floor space, and room had "restored" dolls looking out at you with grateful eyes that someone cared enough to give them life again. One particular room was overflowing with dolls. I mentioned earlier that when I had run away from home, I stayed in the "twin room." Every room in Grandmas house has a name. The "twin room" was name as such because it simply had two twin sized bed in it. The overflowing room was named the "doll room." Aren't we inventive? This room had shelf after shelf of every type of doll. The more valuable ones were placed on the higher shelves, out of reach of the grandchildren ready to love them to shambles. But, the dolls that we played with were there scattered on the bed and lower shelves easily in our reach. Oh, a little girls dream was that room.
Another room in Grandmas house, and my particular favorite room, was the "water bed room." I won't explain why it was called that, I think one might guess. This room was usually infested with teddy bears. Some teddies had clothes and umbrellas and shoes. Others, were just furry creatures with gentle eyes. While my Grandmas favorites were the ones with the pose able arms and legs. They were all out and waiting for a playmate. With all the treasures in that room, the bed was the star. My cousin Tori and I were quite fond of that swishy bed. I can account that bed for countless hours of entertainment.
I will close this chapter of my memories of Grandma Hamblin. There is so much to write and I know I will soon lose some of these precious stories. Better to remember now, than try to remember later with no luck. I love my Grandma dearly and am so privledged that she got to be such a part of my young years. She is a large part of who I am. I love you Grandma.
Promise of Protection
12 years ago
6 comments:
Thank you for the beautiful tribute, Nat. It brings back many fond memories for me also. It is so right how we can start losing our memories if we don't record them. I loved the garage sales too. We never got too old to go with her. But, when we started working during the summer, it kind of ended. You were quite a "Runaway" girl. Your purple satin nightgown was a treasure. Don't you wish you still had it? It was probably torn to shreds. Just like poor little Oinkers. Keep up the tributes!
Nat that was great. I too have so many memories of our childhood with her.
good ole Oinkers! it makes me smile to think of that good old pig! thanks for the reminder. is he still around?
A wonderful tribute to a wonderful lady. She would love to read it. Maybe you could send it to her in the mail. I remember the nightgown well.
I forgot to tell you how pretty your page is! Where did you get the great wallpaper? You are very creative and artistic. Only one of your many talents.
I have Hamblins on both of my parents sides. I wonder if we are related!! I come from Jacob Hamblin (my father's side) and his brother (my mother's side). Your grandmother sounds like a wonderful lady!!
Post a Comment