Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Baby Center is my New Best Friend


I am a first time mother. I have been pretty calm about the whole process and I really haven't found myself over-worried and anxious about motherhood. But, I am VERY worried and anxious about labor and delivery. I have always had quite a phobia of hospitals and medical procedures. Just ask my family and you'll understand. I get nervous even in the gift shop of a hospital. A little ironic because, who did I choose to marry? A doctor. Since I am only 9 weeks away from being full term, I have been increasingly nervous about labor and delivery. I have bad dreams and I can't seem to find peace with the whole process. I have read the labor and delivery section of "What to Expect When You're Expecting" about ten times and that has seemed to help. But, I found a website that has provided a great amount of information and a little more piece of mind.

www.babycenter.com is my new favorite website. All because of the videos that they have. They have videos about each trimester of pregnancy and videos of nearly any situation that might come up in the delivery room. I, honestly, have never seen a live birth on video before this. It is an amazing and gross process. But, now I understand and I am very grateful for this website that has given me a better feeling for what I might be in for as I enter those hospital doors.

3 comments:

Matt and Erin said...

The labor and delivery for me was one of the most amazing experiences of my life! It really is incredible, and it wasn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.

Mark and Aupreille said...

You should check at the hospital you will be delivering at or anyone in the area to see if they have a birth class. We did that and it helped me so much because they went over everything to expect in all the phases of labor and many of the different delivery scenrios. Plus, they showed you a lot of the instrutments that may or may not get used. Which was very helpful because in my mind I thought epidural needles where HUGE and it really wasn't. So it helped me have better expectations and not be so scared with the unknown.

I'm with Erin, labor was not so bad.

Emily K. said...

You will do great, Nat. I love you! Glad you found a website to calm you. I should have let you watch Tristan be born. That would have helped. Then you could have stared at my private parts instead of someone else's all day.