Sunday, March 1, 2009

Iowa Chops Hockey

AHL! LETS GO CHOPS! Who are the chops you ask. PIGS, of course. They are the Amatuer Hockey league here in Des Moines. Bryce and I have become hockey fans this year. It is quite an entertaining event and there are two hockey teams right here in Des Moines. Saturday we went to our third hockey game this year and it was awesome. It is the first game we went to that Iowa actually won. We were very proud fans.

The pink rink was in honor of John Stoddard Cancer Association. The players had their hair pink as well and the program was pink. I think the pink ice looks really cool. The two little girls you see in the right of this picture were a little annoying. They were up and down and up and down and never sat in their seats. They had a good time though and I think that I would have been the same way s a 11 year old girl.

Bryce paying close attention to the game. What a handsome husband I have.


I couldn't get Bryce to cooperate for this picture. He really was in good spirits that night, he only looks scary and intimidating. Maybe he was setting an example for the players.

This is Bryce's favorite part of hockey. (and everyone else in the audience) THE FIGHTS. In amateur league they let the players go at eachother if they take off their gloves. (I think that is what the stipulation is, I don't know) Anyway, as soon as you see gloves flying and helmets crashing to the ice you know that a throw down is happening. The crowd all gets to their feet and start just yelling and clapping. It is quite the event. My camera couldn't get close enough to see the fight, but the Jumbotron showed a really good picture of the fights.

The first time this happened I have to admit I was cringing and closing my eyes. I thought that it was such poor sportsmanship and very violent. Once, we watched a fight that ened in a lot of blodd and that one was really hard for me to watch. I still don't enjoy it a lot, but I do enjoy how excited everyone gets when the fighting happens. They cheer and cheer the players as they saunter off to the penalty box after a fight. I have learned that it is more a part of the game than poor sportsmanship. They actually have players that are designated to get in fights. I guess they use it to try to take more valuable players out of the game for a time.

5 comments:

Matt and Erin said...

Haha! LOL! Bryce does look a little intimidating in that picture. Aren't husbands great at not cooperating for pics. Haha! Love it!

Emily K. said...

What a fun past time you guys have found. You are always doing something to entertain yourselves. The pink ice does look pretty cool. Maybe we should go to a hockey game sometime.

Josh and Alayna said...

That looks fun, I have always wanted to go to a hockey game. The pink effect is really neat and I am glad you two had a good time regardless of the fights and annoying girls:)

Celinda said...

Gee that is a violent sport, but it's great that you and Bryce can go out together. Sounds like fun. Pink Ice and big tough guys, it doesn't quite fit. Was the one they honored that had cancer a team mate? You don't really have to answer that question. The pictures are really good.

kdance said...

Hockey!!! I haven't been to hockey game for so long. How are you girl??? I love the cute aprons you made! You are such a creative girl. I hope you are having a blast in Iowa! I miss it so much. Miss you too, girl!