Monday, November 10, 2008

What Do I Do With That Jack-o-Lantern?

I am always sad to see Halloween come and go. No more pumpkins dressing our doorsteps and no more spooky costumes. What am I going to do with that Jack-O-Lantern now that Halloween is over? It is a shame to throw it out and let it go to waste. So you eat it of course! I love all pumpkin things: Pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bars, pumpkin soup, pumpkin pancakes. I could go on forever, it seems almost anything can be dressed up with a little pumpkin. So, every year I take my pumpkin and I cook it so I can use it in all these ways. A few of my friends have asked how I do it. So here is my step by step guide on how to cook your pumpkin.

Step #1: Cut the pumpkin into pieces and put into a large pot of boiling water.


Step #2: Let the pumpkin boil until tender. This big pot of pumpkin boiled for about 1 hr. Poke it with a fork to test for tenderness. You should be able to poke through the skin and into the soft meat.


Step #3: Drain the pieces of pumpkin. Press all the water out of the pumpkin with a spoon or a large bowl over top of the strainer. Then, cut the meat from the skin.


Step #4: Let the pumpkin set for a while and cool. Then, drain water from meat again.

Step #5: Store in freezer bag. You can stick this in your fridge if you plan to use it soon, but if not freeze it. Of course, you must drain as much air from the bag as possible. You may blend the pumpkin before, or after you freeze it. I choose to freeze it without blending it, just to save me a step.

THERE YOU HAVE IT! ENJOY!

5 comments:

Allen Family said...

I always wondered how to do that. And it saves some money. Thanks your amazing.

Emily K. said...

Why did I not know that you did this? Who taught you how to do it? Or did you just come up with it on your own? My little miss Homemaker America. Way to go! I don't like pumpkin anything, so I just threw my pumpkins away, poor things. When is June already?

Hey, I forgot I have a bone to pick with you. I wanted to see Mom and Dad sometime this month, or for Thanksgiving, and it turns out that they are probably going to your house you little tricky girl!! GRRRRRRR.....

kdance said...

Hey, girl! Just catching up on your recent posts. LOVE the Amy Winehouse costume!!! Ha ha! You crack me up. I love pumpkin, too! I made my pumpkin dinner this year and I LOVE to eat the pumpkin with it. How are you doing these days, girl? I miss you!

Josh and Alayna said...

MMMmmm. I love pumpkin everything too! I really love all food this time of year, but especially pumpkin. Better value and better tasting than canned.

musson said...

NICE! I'll have to remember that for next year! We didn't even buy one pumpkin this year... how grinchy right?

Miss having you guys right down the hall.