Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mei Tia Style Baby Wrap/Carrier

I have seen these carriers all over the internet and in all of my baby/pregnancy magazines. They looked simple enough so I decided to sew one. I looked at about a dozen or more websites to try and get a feel for how to make one. After seeing how a few were designed, I came up with this little bugger. It took me pretty much all day, but I think it was worth it.

I had to have my sister in law Haley try this out on my nephew Hunter. Hunter is 9 1/2 months and he fit in the carrier pretty nicely. The coolest thing about the carrier is that I made it for $0.00. Yes that is right. Zip. Zero. The body is made of an old scrub top of my husbands that is too big for him. The ties are made from an old sheet that was fraying at the ends. And the padding in the head support and straps is made from an old fleece blanket I got when I was in high school. Pretty inexpensive considering that these carriers range from $50-$100.

A back view of Haley wearing Hunter on the front.

I also had my sis in law Mary try this out with my nephew Peyton who is 14 months. He also fit nicely. Mary is wearing Peyton on her back.

A view of the back carry. You can also wear the carrier on your hip.

One more view of the carrier with Mary wearing Peyton on her back. I think I will make another Mei Tai and add some pockets, a hood, and an extra strap/hook around the middle. Come back soon and I guess we'll see how that one turns out!

3 comments:

Danny and Beth said...

hey miss crafty! that is so cute. I really need one of those. I had a wrap, but my chubby son hung down to my knees. help me...teach me. I miss you.

Club Jolley said...

First of all, that baby carrier was very comfortable and easy to use. Sorry I'm not a very good model, and I'm definitely not as photogenic as Mary, but oh well! You should start selling the baby carriers for a little side business, I'm sure people would buy them.
Your boppy slipcover is also adorable, and now I'm wishing I had just made mine instead of paying for it form the store.
Thanks for the wonderful BBQ, the beautiful roses (that are sitting right next to me), and the delicious cupcakes. You are amazing!

Emily K. said...

Wow, it really does look store bought, Nat!! It's great, and I'm sooo not a sewer, but, if i was a sewer, I would sew that. I love the models. And, the babies.