Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pocket All-In-One Diaper

This is mostly for my Mother so she can see how I altered the pattern to make this new diaper. Here is the finished product, without the velcro because I don't have any right now. This is also without the cute flannel on the outside. I wanted to make a prototype before I dove head first into making more.

The main difference between this and my other diapers is that this has an opening that allows you to take the insert in and out for quicker drying.

I altered the soaker a little as well. This soaker, rather than being sewn all the way around is only sewn right down the middle and then on the corners to keep the soaker stable. Each individual piece is zig-zagged around to keep from fraying. This is so much easier than sewing around the whole soaker and it will also dry quicker than the original.

This shows the three layers of the soaker and how they are sewn down the middle an zig-zagged around the edge. (Look at that big fatty hand. My hands are very swollen as of late. Go figure)

Diaper and soaker. The soaker looks quite a bit longer than the diaper, but remember than the diaper has elastic in the legs and once the soaker is inserted into the diaper it fits perfectly.

Diaper with soaker in place. It was a fun project figuring how to alter my original pattern to make this one. Fun stuff.

5 comments:

Mark and Aupreille said...

It looks great and even better then the BumGenius diapers I have.

Emily K. said...

Wow, it sure looks like fun stuff! Thank you so much for showing me that diaper. I still don't want to use them. But, I'm glad you have something to occupy your time while you're waiting for little baby boy to come into the world.

Club Jolley said...

You are so talented, I am so impressed with these diapers! Who knows, maybe with the next kid I'll switch to cloth diapers... Also, I can't believe you only have a couple of weeks left. I am so excited to meet our newest little Jolley boy.

Rachel Schanz said...

that's awesome....i would love to steal the pattern that you use for these diapers. would you want to show me how you make one?? I'm seriously considering using these once we get into a house with a washer and dryer :)

KimberlyGanir said...

I'm a friend of your sister Emily. I'm thinking of going cloth, and love that you are making your own. Do you have a pattern? And what material do you use?

You can email me: akganir@gmail.com

Thanks, and they look so good!!