Growing up, we had a favorite treat the whole family enjoyed. It was not only a treat, but a staple for breakfast and especially cold, wintery, Wyoming days. A good old cup of hot cocoa and buttered toast to dip in it. Yes, you just dip that toast right into that steaming cup of cocoa and love the soggy, sweet bread running down your throat. My Dad used to make this for breakfast often. He would heat up and big, really big, pot of hot milk or water and then we would either add our own cocoa mix or use my Dad's special homemade cocoa syrup. Then he would butter a mountain of toast and we would all dig in. Oh, the memories that brings back to me. That big pot and that mountain would be gone in minutes. We would very often go into the kitchen after all of the toast was gone and make a couple more slices to top of the rest of our cocoa. And, to chase it all down, a nice cold glass of milk. This treat was especially wonderful when it was cold. Now, those of you who know Wyoming, know that our winters definitely aren't mild or short. So after a good day of snowfort making, we would come in and enjoy toast and cocoa. The wonder of it all was that we could make it ourselves.
Today, I came home from Mutual quite cold. We went Trick or Treating for cans for the food pantry. It is not really that cold out, but my body is not used to it anymore. I think it was around 49 or so, but I was cold when I got home. So, I got into my sweats and treated my self to some toast and cocoa.
Last funny story, one time during my childhood we were enjoying this classic treat altogether as a family. It was actually my whole family and my Aunt and Uncle and all my cousins, the Walkers. Whitney, my little sister, was reaching for some refills and said: "Can I have some more coke and toasto please?" She jumbled the words, and ever since that day, we have called it coke and toasto. Enjoy the memories Family!
6 comments:
yum!! brings back memories! We also love cocoa and toast on a cold wintery day. it makes me miss it, but we haven't had cold hit here yet!
Yes! I thought my family was the only ones who enjoyed this wonderful treat until I met you up at college. Then I knew I wasn't crazy, "Pan y Mantaqia y chocolata" (what we grew up calling it) is one of my all time favorites and I think I'll have some this morning!
Yes, this brings back many many fond memories of my childhood. I can't seem to make myself dip toast in cocoa anymore though. I don't know why. Rohne loves it. I remember my favorite being mom's homemade white bread, dipped in. So yummy!!!! And, I love the coke and toasto reference. I love reading your blog because it always takes me back, and helps me remember my family. Ohh, how I miss them. When is June again?
Now I have to go and make myself some!! Shon thinks it is gross that I dip my toast in the cocoa but I LOVE it. I love reading your blog too and I love to think of you!!
I love the walks I take down memory lane when I read your blogs. Thank you. An empty cocoa cup and plate full of crumbs; what a great picture.
Yeah! I thought our family was the only one to do that! My husband thinks it's gross but it's oh so yummy! Especially with homemade bread!!!
Post a Comment