Saturday, October 25, 2008

Race for the Cure

Today was the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Des Moines. There were a number of races. They had a 5K run/walk, one mile run/walk, and a kids race. There were about 24,000 people who participated in the event. It was packed with people who came out to support this cause. And, what better way could you spend your Saturday morning. I walked with some freinds from my ward and I really enjoyed it. They had a lot of tents set up with little free trinkets, which I can't resist. But, the best part was seeing all of the people there for loved ones.



I wore this on my sweater during the race. It sure isn't much, but I wanted to remember my Aunt Shannon today. I hope this little tribute helps us get closer to a cure.

All my goodies from the race. Yes, my T-shirt is XL because this was all they had left when our T-shirts got picked up. Luckily, I will wear this shirt very often. Just ask my husband, I can't wear anything that is even close to my body for bed.


After the race waiting in the cold for the prize drawing. We ended up leaving because, despite the sunshine, it was freezing.


A view from the back.


All of us who "Raced for the Cure." Left to right: Jordan Hansen (the organizer and leader of the event, THANKS JORDAN) Natali, Kamala Sloan, And her sister Jessica? (oh I am so sorry I don't remember her name! Curses) Nathalie Beeston is taking the pic.


7 comments:

Emily K. said...

I didn't realize that you were going to do this! (I, of course, know everything that's going on in your life.) What a great thing to do. And, remembering Shannon, that's a wonderful gift. I can't believe you didn't run, you big wimp. Hey, when is June already?

Celinda said...

Gee, Natali that was inspiring. You are always bringing tears to my eyes, but that is good. If Dad has Jim's E-Mail he might enjoy seeing this. I will send it if I can figure out how. ( By the way did I tell you that Jim and Paula are engaged? It happened a couple of weeks ago. ) I sure loved Shannon and will always feel a loss. I think that is great for you to live in a place where there is so much to get involved in and I am very proud of you for the work you do in the church and in your community.

The French Family said...

That's really awesome Nat! How fun to get outside with some friends and walk for such a wonderful cause. It sure looked cold - I'm not looking forward to those days. ;)

Shon and Holly Shuldberg said...

You are really amazing, did you know that??

Kristie Taylor said...

Gosh I love your short hair girly!! I have always wanted to do one of those! so whats up with all of emilys "june" comments? you will have to update me :)

shauni said...

What a fun event! I love all the gear you're wearing for the race. Your post made me miss running, there is nothing like running with a TON of other people, especially for a good cause!

Josh and Alayna said...

That is awesome. You are amazingm, and what a way to remember Aunt Shan. Thanks for sharing pics!