Thursday, October 23, 2008

Halloween Memories



With Halloween quickly approaching, I wanted to write down some memories of Halloween's past. I remember them very well. What stands out the most is that we NEVER had a store bought costume. My mother sewed or put together all of our costumes. I remember wanting to get a store bought costume, but the searching for the costumes was SOO fun. It consisted of going through all my moms fabric, going through every siblings wardrobe, and going through my parents wardrobe. If we couldn't fashion a costume out of what we found in the house, my mother would go to it and sew our costumes.

One year my mom created a LOVELY Jasmine costume for me. She had an old pair of very puffy, very blue, sweat pants that looked just like Jasmines. Then we took an old swimming suit and sewed a little big of trim on it and some puffy sleeves and there was my top. Then, of course I had the perfect hair for Jasmine. When I was young I had long, very black, hair all the way down to my waist. So, no wig for me. It was the perfect costume. And the funniest thing was that same year my oldest brother Ben, who was a junior or senior in High School at this time, was also dressing up as Jasmine for Halloween. My Mom actually sewed him a wig out of black yarn. (at least I think she did)

I went to school in my perfect costume, sure that I was to be the best dressed and get so many compliments on my costume. However, when I got to school a girl named Lindsey Rerucha was also Jasmine. She was a little blonde girl who was quite popular. So, since she didn't have my long hair, she had on a plastic wig. That's not all, she had on the whole entire store bought Jasmine costume. She had the pants, the top, the puffy sleeves, the shoes, EVEN the jewelry. She was genuinely Jasmine. I was devastated. What hurt the most was that kids were actually asking me who I was. They didn't even know that I was Jasmine, but they all knew that Lindsey was. I put my coat on and wore it the rest of the day.

Sad story, but there were many other not sad stories about my Halloween costumes. Like the time when I was Wednesday from the Adams family. That Halloween, everyone knew who I was and I looked just like her. I often used my hair and incorporated it into my costumes. The greatest thing about having such an ingenious mother was that we often had costume changes. I would be a vampire in the morning, and by the evening I was turned into a lovely witch. Or a princess in the morning and rageddy ann by that night.

Here's to you Mother. What a wonderful Halloween costume designer you were. I wish I had you to get me dressed this year, for I promised my Young Women that I would dress up this year. I am actually looking forward to it. But, you can guarantee that I won't be going to the store for my costume, I will be staying right here at home. Thanks for the fun memories Mom!

Those of you who read this post, I tag you! Post a halloween memory from your childhood on your blog. YEAH!

8 comments:

Celinda said...

Natali, your Jasmine story made me cry. I wish that I could of shielded my children from all hurts. Even now my heart is heavy when you or they are sad. I try to remember the opposition scriptures, and "then I don't feel so bad."

Emily K. said...

Man, you have me bawling too. But, mainly because I want my family here with me, and I'm very emotional lately. We had the greatest childhood, and we have the BESTEST MOM EVER!! Halloweens were always such a treat in our house. I will have to dredge up a memory or two in the next few days. I think that having kids has rewened my memory a little, because I don't remember nearly as good as you do. Hey, when is June already? (Do you really think you can stand that last sentence for the next 8 months, because you're gonna get it sista!!!)

Candy said...

Oh you poor little thing, I bet you looked amazing in your jasmine costume, and you had the real deal dark beautiful hair! I think it is funny because I totally know Lindsay RErucha, and had girls similar to that in my grade. Thanks for sharing your memory!

shauni said...

My Mom also sewed all of our Halloween costumes and it was the best! Anything that I could dream up, she would make. One year, I was a bar of soap (don't ask me why I wanted to be a bar of soap- but she made it happen). That's so fun that you are going to dress up this year- any ideas what you're going to be? My boys keep asking me what I'm going tobe for Halloween so I feel like I should try to come up with something, but no ideas yet! Are you guys doing something fun for Halloween?

Collette said...

Oh, I was sad for you too. I think i have too many memories like that. I bet your costume was awesome. We always had homemade ones too. Its fun to hear your memories because it gives a little glimpse into the Hamblin family! So fun.

Josh and Alayna said...

Ohh, that is a very sad story, but I am sure making your costumes hold many great memories. Your mom is a super crafty/creative woman!

Unknown said...

my mom sewed all of our costumes too, i LOVED it and now I love doing it for my own kids.

Kristie Taylor said...

Hey girl that was a cute post..... I am gonna have to post some of my halloween memories too. my mom sewed a couple of our coustumes too. :) I love reading your posts girly!!! keep it up! :)