
So, to all of you out there who thoroughly enjoy General Conference weekend, this post is for you. I look forward to this weekend so, and for some good reasons and probably for some not so wholesome reasons. Here they are:
10: I don't have to shave my legs and put on a dress. As much as I love getting dolled up on Sundays, sometimes I just don't want to shave my legs. And for me, wearing a skirt requires shaving of the legs. I am not blessed with minimal, light colored hair on my legs. Nooooo! So, today I put a pair of pants on and I didn't even think about that little pink razor calling to me from my shower. Quiet You!!
9: I get to sleep in. Since I often have meetings to attend or lessons to prepare or just YW stuff to worry about, I get up fairly early Sunday mornings. Getting up today at 9:12 was so refreshing. I admit that I felt a little guilty, but deep down I loved it immensely.
8: BREAKFAST! I love making breakfast. Isn't breakfast food the yummiest and the most fun to prepare? I sure think so. We are always in too much of a rush or doing completely different things on Sunday that we seldom get to eat breakfast together. Not only that, but if we do eat breakfast it is usually cold cereal or instant oatmeal. Now, I LOVE both of those things with all my heart. But I DEARLY LOVE to make pancakes, crepes, french toast, german pancakes, buiscuts and gravy, and the list just goes on. Today we had german pancakes with syrup and Vitiman D Milk. (Someone told me that it helps you get preggo, so I said what the hay!)
7: DINNER! Yes, it is true, another food reason. I don't often get to cook more that one meal a day, and I really do enjoy cooking. We are running skimpy on our food items, (for I hate the grocery store, another story in and of itself) but I have been craving Stroganoff. It has been a favorite of mine since childhood and we have had those egg noodles in our cupboard for so long, they have just been calling my name. So, since I had time to make several meals today I opted to make my stroganoff today. It is so fast and easy, but yummy yummy. We ate it with steamed zuchinni and yellow squash.
6: Lots of couch time. So I have to admit, I am not one of those people who gets into their Sunday best and sits straight and proper on the edge of my seat during conference. I am a lounger. I position myself in the most comfortable place on the couch, curl up in a blanket and soak it all in baby. I commented to Bryce last conference that I wonder why I get so sleepy during the talks. I really want to listen and learn but my eyes drift closed after about an hour and half. He commented, "Well, you are laying down on the couch, with your PJ's on, and with a blanket. HMMMM . . . when else do we do those things all together. Oh yes, when we go to bed!" Clever boy huh. I tried my utmost to stay awake this weekend and I even tried to sit up and leave the blanket folded in the corner, but the second session today I found my self dozing.
5: Memories. I remember growing up and listening to conference. If we weren't out of bed yet, my Mom would insist we crawl to the family room and listen. She tried to make us listen to every session. Bless her heart, I can only imagine how hard it was to get 6 kids to pay attention an listen to 8 hours of conference in one weekend. I remember when my siblings were in seminary they had to take notes during conference and I thought they were so grown up. I really thought that was the most adult thing anyone could do. Probably because my Dad always has a pen and paper in his hands during conference. So many more memories I could share, but here are a few that stick out.
4: Quiet. It is truely inspired that the local wards hold no meetings over conference weekend. These men and women that serve so willingly in their callings get this weekend to just listen and ponder and pray. I am sure Bishops, and others who hold time consuming callings, all around are grateful for a little break to reflect. I am.
3: Listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I could listen to them sing all day and night. I love the way they bring the spirit in such abundance to the conference. I love their voices all in unison singing the hymns of worship. When I was little I was sure that my Mom was a member of the Tabernacle Choir. I somehow got it into my head that because my mom was such a phenomenal singer then she had to be a part of that beautiful choir. I told my friends and teachers that she was with assurity. She wasn't. It was a harsh realization for me.
2: President Monson's stories. I love that he often refers to old classic movies, musicals, and books. Anytime he speaks of a book or a movie that portrays a certain message, I clammer to read or watch it. I love that today he talked about Professor Harold Hill from the Music Man. One of my all time favorite musicals. I can always remember what he is speakng on because I can always remember his stories.
1: Realizing anew that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ speak to prophets and apostles today. The church has been restored in its fullness to the earth and God speaks to man again. I heard a story once that changed to way I feel about conference. Shortly, it talks about a young women who was astonished to hear that the church believes that it has a living prophet on the earth today who communicates with God. She excitedly asks the one who told her of the modern day prophets, "What was the last thing he said?!" The other could not reply, for she didn't know. It is severely significant that we have a living prophet today, I hope I can always feast on his words.
Promise of Protection
12 years ago
7 comments:
Hi, now we can stay in contact other than through our husbands. Haha. Seriously, you should bring Miles over here sometimes because Mattson would love it and I would love your company!
I just knew that you would write something about Conference, and I have been checking your blog all day to read what you were going to say. I love love love love love loved the talk President Monson gave when he talked about the Music Man. It made me smile to realize that all of my family were listening, and appreciating that too. Vitamin D. Milk. . . never heard of that one. I think it is great that you thought we were cool when we had to take notes for Seminary, and you thought Mom was in the Tabernacle Choir. You're quite the silly girl. I wish I could think of something witty to say right now, but my wit has escaped me. Let's just say that I'm going to try very hard from now on to Enjoy the Journey!!
Amen to all of that! You put it all so well, and I feel the same to all of the above, except I never thought my mom was in the choir or so older siblings taking notes! I love reading your wonderful thoughts!
Nat - as I was reading what you wrote I could totally picture you through out your day. Conference was wonderful. I have the perfect thing to keep you awake during conference - a 16 month old kid. Yup - first conference where I watch all and I mean all of conference. I remember when I was younger, thinking how could anyone stay awake through all of conference? Now I know and I loved very bit of it. Thanks for your lovely post.
Are you coming to Utah anytime soon? I miss ya!
I love your top ten reasons. I especially love the no shaving the legs thing. I hate shaving my legs. Conferene weekend was very good and uplifting. Oh, I also agree with you on the food. I love making meals, and of course eating them!
I love all of these reasons. I also love general conference- I loved Pres. Monson's talk, it was just what I needed to hear. I also love making a big breakfast (which we never have time to do) I'm excited for the conference Ensign to come out so I can read the talks that I missed (which would be all of the Saturday sessions). Thanks for sharing your thoughts on conference.
I fortified myself with good intentions and no warm blankets and even some grapes to munch on and still missed a few talks. How grateful I am for DVR's and the nice luxury that they are. Loved your 10 things.
Post a Comment