Sunday, April 19, 2009

Called to Serve

I was recently released from my calling as the Young Women's President. I really enjoyed being a part of the YW organization. I was in the program for nearly two years before my release. I thought I would enjoy the change of scenery, and I do to an extent. I miss my girls and their smiles and I miss hearing about their lives. I miss their hugs and their testimonies and how much they taught me. I miss working along side such extraordinary women who always kept me positive. I miss acting like a teenager and getting away with it. I also miss teaching a lesson to an attentive, participating class of intelligent young adults. It's funny how you never miss a calling until you are doing a different one. Then you miss that one when you are, yet again, called to another.

The same day that I was released, I got called to another position. I was called to be a teacher to our Sunbeams class. This was to be my very first calling in the primary. I was in the nursery before, but I don't really consider that primary. I was very excited. How fun, SUNBEAMS. Plus, I have spent the last three years teaching pre-school classes at the Y and I really felt that I was suited well for the calling.

I remember being a Sunbeam and being very proud that I was old enough to go to "real" primary. Especially because I had a few older siblings that were in primary at the same time as me and I was very happy to be where they were. I remember my childhood spent in church meetings with much fondness. I think what I loved the most about church was the opportunity to do so much singing. There were three and sometimes four songs during sacrament. Then on to primary for a whole hour almost devoted to singing. OH MY! I loved it, and to this day I remember nearly every word to all the songs I sang as a child at church. I loved all the aspects of church really. I loved getting into a pretty dress and getting to see my friends. I can remember very few, if any, poor memories of church as a young'n.

That being said, I am more than sure that my mother remembers it very differently. I know that I was a child who enjoyed being entertained and she must have had some pretty clever things up her sleeve to keep me occupied all through the sacrament meeting. I also know that I was quite the little devil about getting ready for church. Since my older sisters got to get ready by themselves I thought that I should be able to as as well. I would often choose my own dress clothes and do my own hair after my Mom finally gave in to my pleadings. I had VERY long, unruly hair as a kid and I sure shouldn't have been doing it by myself. I also had pretty poor taste in what was dressy. I was a bit of a tomboy, but also wanted to be just like my older sisters. So, my clothing for Sunday ended up being either too casual or too big because I was wearing a dress from my sisters closet. Plus, on top of me being a little bit of a struggle, my Mother had to get SIX children ready for church without any other help. My Dad served in so many demanding church callings that he was seldom at home on Sunday mornings or afternoons. Oh Mother, you are a Saint.

My sunbeams class is SO fun. They really are about the cutest set of children to walk that face of the earth. I always leave church with a couple good chuckles and I the always find a way to surprise me. However, they are a very busy bunch. During sharing and singing time, I feel very bad for the rest of the children in the primary room who are attentive and listenting because my half of the room seldom is. Me and my co-teacher are not only constantly trying to keep our group reverent, but just keep track of them. A few of my little sunbeams are movers and shakers. They really want to be up and around the room and that little chair is just too confining for their rambuctious spirits. I know that I was probably one of those children, and my teachers had quite the time with me.

By the time the lesson rolls around, those poor kids have been forced to sit in a chair for two hours straight and they are sick of it. Rightly so! I am sick of it, and I am an adult. Needless to say, we all make it through the day unscathed but ready for it to be over. I haven't have anyone want to stay longer, and I don't expect them too.

I am thankful that they Lord has called me to the positions I have held in the church. I am still very young, yet I have experienced so much in the church. The callings I have recieved have helped me become a better person, wife, employee, friend, and saint. I am sure that God grants us the opportunity to serve in the church for our growth, as well as the growth of those we serve with. I have experienced, first had, the blessings of giving your all to those who you are called to teach. My relationship with my Savior becomes more in tune when I am serving others in the gospel.

2 comments:

Emily K. said...

I just got released from my YW calling too. It was so wierd sitting in Relief Society. I already miss the girls, and being able to laugh with them, and hear about their exciting High School lives. I bet you are a great Sunbeams teacher. Those kids are so lucky to have you.

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

I'm so grateful that my Natali has such a understanding, patient, and loving teacher! Thanks for all you do and put up with from our little kiddos!