Sunday, April 19, 2009

Goodbye Little Buddies!


I am an animal lover. I grew up having quite the myriad of pets. I had SEVERAL cats. I know I had a lot more cats that my parents wanted me too. I was an orphan keeper and I adopted many stray and lost cats as pets. We lived in the country where "barn cats" were a plenty so, needless to say there were many more adoptions going on that my parents would have liked. I had a little sheep once that I loved with all my heart. His name was Popcorn and he will always be one of my favorite pets. I had a couple rabbits that were very soft and wonderful. I never had a dog of my own, but my family has had many dogs throughout the years. My siblings and I were involved in 4-H so we had horses, pigs, and steers that we used for projects. My Mother is a genuine cowgirl, and she has a love for animals as well. I am pretty sure that is where this deep devotion for god's "furry" creatures comes from.

I longed to be close to all my pets. I quickly formed tight bonds with all the creatures that I took to love. I really loved them so much, I can't imagine how anyone would dislike any animal. I wanted to be so close to them that I almost treated them like humans. I wanted them in the house with me whenever I could get away with it. I even would sneak my little lamb Popcorn in the house on occasion. That didn't go over so well with the parental units. My cats slept many nights on my bed or even right on my pillow next to my head. However, I noticed that some animals just didn't enjoy my company like the others. I had a bunny that never really liked me. He wouldn't let me hold him and he would scratch me all over when I tried. He was scared of me and he lived in such a little cage. I felt so bad for that bunny, and bad for myself because I couldn't make him love me.

One day, I was pondering what to do and the solution came to me. HE WANTS TO BE FREE! He wants to run wild like the little cotton tails that hopped around our pastures. I became quite convinced that this was the only way for my bunny to live. I took my idea to my Mother and she agreed that this could be why my bunny was so restless. I believe she meant to just be a good listening ear, and that she wasn't really giving her consent to me setting the bunnies free. But, that is what I thought her agreeing with me meant. That very day, I took my bunny, and my brothers bunny along with it, and freed them both into the wild! I was in trouble with several people when this was discovered, but I still believe it was the way my little white and brown bunny wanted to live out his life.

From that day, I never wanted a pet that stayed in a cage all day and ran away when you tried to touch it. I feel like those creatures are meant to be in the wild and they shouldn't be domestic pets. I went against my better judgment this last year. I have been craving the company of an animal so desperately. However, living in a fairly large city in a small apartment leaves the pet option pool quite shallow. I really want a dog or a cat, and perhaps even a lamb. But, alas, that isn't to be at this time in my life. I did however get another caged creature. A creature that runs away when you try to touch it. A hamster.

I didn't get just regular hamsters though. I got the smallest of all hamsters. They are called Robo hamsters. Given their smallness, they are extremely fast and skittish creatures. I mean, wouldn't you be if a Giant came reaching into your home trying to grab you on occasion. I did love those little fur balls though. They allowed for some great entertainment and fun.

This post is very long to tell pay homage so such a small creature and I fear it is time for me to close. In short, I had to sell my little pets because we are moving in a few weeks. I have now been without them for a couple weeks. I miss them, but I know they are happy where they are. Goodbye my fun, furry critters.

2 comments:

Emily K. said...

I had forgotten about your little lamb, Popcorn. He was really cute, but kinda annoying. I also remember the day you let the bunnies go. You were in bad trouble. Sorry about your little hamsters. I'm glad that you found them a good home. Someday you will have a wonderful family of children, and pets, and you will overwhelmed. Someday. . . .

The French Family said...

So sorry to hear about you having to say goodbye to all your little friends. I'm sure the word is out that you're moving and you'll have just as many if not more animals waiting at your door when you arrive in Seattle.

PS How exciting that you're moving soon!
PPS I was just released from Nursery and now I'm in the YW working with the Beehives