Wednesday, February 6, 2008

It Rains it Pours . . . It Snows it SNOWS LOTS

Ah . . . winter in Iowa. It surely is treacherous, but my is it beautiful. I was actually breath taken at the beauty of this snow. It rested on every branch and piled up everywhere. I couldn't help imagining myself being Anne Shirley in Anne of Green Gables on her way home from saving Minnie May's life. There she rested on Matthews shoulders as they rode the sleigh home through the thick snow. The snow plows had barely touched the sidestreets of Des Moines when we went out to retrieve our lost car (story proceeding). This is just a taste of the glory we saw. My camera ran out of batteries after just one picture or I could have taken a million.

We received about 8 inches of snow here, and everything was closed and canceled. Bryce had an early morning study session planned at the Anatomy Lab, but got there and had to drive right back. I wish it was that easy though. He was driving our "mexi-ride" and it really doesn't have much gusto. The driveway to our apartment is fairly steep and the car just couldn't make it through the drifts and snow. So he had to drive around for a while and find a place to park. He found one, and then had to walk home. He was pretty frustrated that it took him 45 minutes to go 3 blocks.

Later that day, we went for a walk around Greenwood Pond. We frequent this pond in the Summer and Fall, but never in the Winter. It was also breathtaking. The snow was so inviting and we couldn't help but run through it like we were kids again. We ran into a couple snow shoeing, and decided we wanted to do the same. Anyone up for it? If not snow shoeing, cross country skiing. There is a charming gazebo there and I had to have Bryce pose. Still not much battery in the camera, but I did get one picture of this outing as well.

4 comments:

Emily K. said...

The snow looks beautiful. Poor Bryce, I bet he was cold. Get some batteries in your camera silly girl!

Ashley said...

Where do you guys FIND these places? How fun!! You and Bryce are quite the adventurers, if that's a word!! I saw the mailman struggling to get up the hill the other day..he just kept spinning and spinning until he finally went and parked in Hampton House, that driveway is crazy! Did you get the day off too yesterday?

Shon and Holly Shuldberg said...

Our snow is pretty also, but has been drifting like crazy, so that makes it a lot less desirable. I am so glad that you think of Anne. It makes me happy to think of her.

Erica said...

I love it that you guys call that car your little "mexi ride" I never would have thought to go over to Greenwood park in the snow but it sounds like it was a pretty site to see.