Here I go again . . . But I wanted to document these thoughts.
The weather is taking it's toll on me. I am still getting over a bad bout of Strep, and I feel like I am never warm. I have a hard time getting my spirits up and find myself complaining and pitying my life more often that I should. The lack of sun and the inability to spend time outdoors is quite a depressant. Plus, our vehicles seem to dislike the winter as much as we do, and have been doing their fair share of acting up. I think we all just need a good thaw.
Today, I was trying to think of things that make me feel good about myself. I enjoy many things, but I wanted something that made me feel good about me. Not making much sense? Just bare with me. So, in all my poor me state, I asked my Husband that same question. He answered in a way that was wise and profound. He is sick as well, by the way. But, not a word of complaint has come out of his mouth. I asked him "What makes you feel good about yourself?" He answered, "I feel good when I work out." This wasn't what I wanted to hear because I was comfortably curled up in a blanket, warm for the first time that day, and decidedly not going to the gym. So I retaliated. "But, what do you do, that you enjoy, that makes you feel good about yourself." This is where the kick in the but came. He answered, "I think that the things that make us feel the best about ourselves aren't often the fun things. Like you feel good about yourself when you workout, or go to church, or do service for someone. Those things may not be the "funnest" things you will do, but they make you feel the best."
This could have ended here and I would have been quite satisfied, but he went further. "I feel good about myself when I'm with you." Oh my, that did it. The tears came. In short, those were the words I needed to hear.
A little reminder: "The things that makes us feel the best about ourselves, aren't often the fun things." Maybe I will look for other better ways to feel good. It seems to me that essentially what Bryce was saying is to look outside of yourself.
Promise of Protection
12 years ago
5 comments:
You do have a very wise husband. I can picture in my mind this entire conversation with you guys, even the tears. Nat, you're a great girl, and it's okay to be woe is me sometimes. I will always take pity on you, and I know our mother, and Whitney will. (Holly and Ben would probably say "suck it up.") I really do hope you start feeling better soon. Being sick is the worst! I love your thoughts, though.
Okay so about your sister. Um...ask her if she's in the Issa. 5th Ward. No one has really spoken to us or anything. There was one girl that did kind of look like you but I wasn't in any mood to talk to anyone. I was tired of unpacking and working.
He's like a continual fountain of wisdom & knowledge!! Love it!
I'm totally feeling blah-ish about this weather too. And the last thing I want to do is get up and go to the gym, though it's what I should do. So instead I just make and eat cookies, because at least it makes me stomach feel good!! haha.
I don't think I would have said "suck it up" but Emily made me laugh. Winter has drug on and I am sorry you are sick. Your husband is wise and I wish that I could always remember those things. It is easier not to. I love to read what you write because you are so good at it.
Girl, you took the words right out of my mouth about the horrible weather--I was feeling exactly the same way last week!
You have a very wise husband and I must say I agree with his words of wisdom (even though I don't always like to admit it).
You looked fabulous at the gala, by the way! I love the pics of you and Bryce posing in the hall beforehand.
Post a Comment